Saturday, June 9, 2007

You're Not Here

Every couple of days for the past... god damn year, I've been having the same nightmare. I read somewhere that writing it down will, like, purge it from your mind or some voodoo shit like that, and given that I don't have access to a nightmare-take-out-of-my-brain-er (yet) I guess the ghetto version will have to do.

I'm walking through a ghost town. There's... fog? Mist? Smoke? Everywhere. I can still breathe, but it makes me feel weaker somehow. I can barely see ten feet in front of me, it's so thick. The wind howls into my ear so loudly and suddenly that my heart leaps into my throat.

The wind passes.

Then it's silent.

That feeling you get when you're alone but you know you're being watched is creeping up my spine and spreading through my body. I turn around suddenly and there's what I think is a girl in the distance... looks about my age but with the fog it's hard to tell. She's waving at me. The closer I get to her, the farther she appears. I don't get it.

I scream and scream at her. What do you want? Who are you? What is this place? But I make no sound. So, that's fucking great. Then, the girl points to the ground, as if to get me to look.

I look. I can see through the road. Below the ground is this godawful nightmare world that looks exactly like the town I'm in except much, much different. The basic structure and buildings are the same but everything's made out of blood and metal and rust. There are these things roaming the street... god, the noises they made...

I'm too scared to run, so instead I sink right into the road and into the nightmare world. I fall - forever it seems like - and land on this platform, right next to a broken wheelchair. There's another man there with me... not a monster or anything. He seemed frightened. But he wasn't confused like I was.

He leans over to me and whispers, "I see it all now."

"See what?" I ask.

He gives me this look, then mutters "Bodyslide by two."

And I wake up with a jolt.

Dreams don't make any fucking sense, do they?

1 comment:

Jim Strummard said...

Two things:
1) Holy fuck why would you scare me like that?

and
2) Man, you try remembering to ask about your office when conducting a world exclusive interview.